There can be no denying that American culture has an obsession with beauty, especially female beauty. The media uses women’s faces and bodies to sell everything, from alcohol to cars to hamburgers. Mass media bombards young girls with images of what the “perfect” body should look like, with devastating results.
ince the foundation of Facebook, there have been many social networks. From Twitter and Instagram to Vine and there is always something new. As new social sites are released, some students think Facebook is sinking to the bottom.
A major building renovation a the University of Tennessee in Knoxville has transformed the traditional learning style. The new room design promotes interactivity between the students, and the lack of podium encourages teacher involvement rather than the typical lecture.
With rain and high winds lasting for days, Hurricane Sandy lived up to its media-hyped name, “Frankenstorm.” Sandy hit the Outer Banks early Saturday, Oct. 27 and continued to bring rain and high winds through early Tuesday Oct. 30. For some students, the duration of the storm was difficult to endure.
The ISONN NewsStream is a regular compilation of stories, pictures and video from the member sites of the Interscholastic Online News Network.
Many of the articles have been edited and enhanced by the ISONN NewsStream staff.
ISONN will build and host a news website for any high school or teacher who wants one. There is no charge for this service.
Any existing high school news website that wants to join ISONN may do so. There is no charge for membership. Member sites agree with the general mission statements of the organization and allow the sharing of their their originally produced content with other member sites.
To join ISONN, visit the membership sign-up page on the ISONN site.
The ISONN network
The Interscholastic Online News Network supports more than 100 high school news websites around the country. Take a look:
View ISONN News Websites in a larger map
- GoldenGateXpress: Local student goes viral on YouTube with new hip-hop music video
- GoldenGateXpress: Taser debate sparks student protest
- TheAggie: Community organizations fundraise for Typhoon Haiyan victims
- AmherstWire: Students trade short-term borrowing for long-term debt
- TheStatesman: Students could face legal trouble for Facebook posts
- FIUSM: Hard times, harder requirements: Students plea for financial aid as it becomes more scarce
- AmherstWire: University of Massachusetts Amherst professors help revolutionize adhesive world
- TheGradyJournal: Social media’s effect on communication
- GoldenGateXpress: Male students walk campus in heels to educate on sexual violence
- GoldenGateXpress: Equity Week points out cost of higher education, student debt